This focused mutual fund invests in foreign stocks of Google, with returns of up to 85%: should you invest?
SBI Equity Targeted Fund – Regular Plan – Growth
This focused equity fund has performed better over the long term for SIPs. Over the past year the SIP return (absolute return) stood at -9.02%, over the past 2 years it has reached 9.17% return, over the past 3 years it has yielded returns of 22.20%, and over the past 5 years it has earned returns of 37.82%. The annualized returns of the SBI Focused Equity Fund SIP have been 8.68% over the past 2 years and 13.46% over the past 3 years. However, the Indian stock market has been bearish over the past year, so the annualized return for this fund has fallen by 16.25% over the past year.
The absolute mutual fund returns of the SBI Focused Equity Fund have been the best over the long term. Over the past year the return was -0.18%, over the past 2 years it had returns of 51.26%, over the past 3 years it had returns of 44, 15% and over the last 5 years it has given returns of 85.62%. Over the past 2 years, the SBI Focused Equity Fund’s annualized returns have been 22.95%, slightly above the category average of 23.62%. Additionally, over the past 3 years, its annualized return has been quoted at 12.95%, slightly above the category average of 11.60%.
(Data through June 27, 2022)
NAV and AUM
It is a target capitalization mutual fund SIP investment option which has a net asset value of Rs. 209.28. A lower net asset value allows investors to invest in more units of a particular fund. The assets under management (AUM) of this fund is Rs. 24273.79 crores. However, the SBI Focused Equity Fund’s expense ratio (ER) is 1.63%, while the category average is 2.20%. The expense ratio (ER) is the cost of owning a mutual fund or SIP. It is charged by the mutual fund house of retail investors for the management of the fund. Thus, an ER below the category average will be profitable for investors.
This SIP Mutual Fund mentioned above has been rated top with 4 stars by the rating agency Crisil.
The total equity ownership of the SBI Focused Equity Fund is 90.19% with the remaining 9.81% invested in other sectors. Its Indian equity stake is 82.10% and its foreign equity stake is 8.09%. Of a total of 26 stocks, the fund’s large-cap investments account for 39.55%, mid-cap investments 21.8%; Small cap investments represent 4.17% and 24.67% of investments are allocated to other funds.
The top 10 equity holdings in the fund are Muthoot Finance Pvt. ltd. – Nbfc, ICICI Bank, Kotak Mahindra Bank, State Bank Of India, HDFC Bank, Procter & Gamble Hygiene & Health Care Ltd. – Personal Care, Divis Laboratories, Alphabet Inc (foreign equity, parent company of Google), Bharti Airtel, Max Healthcare Institute Ltd.
Other funds in this category are ICICI Prudential Focused Equity Fund – Regular Plan – Growth, Nippon India Focused Equity Fund – Growth, IDBI Focused 30 Equity Fund – Growth, etc.
Investing in stocks/mutual funds/SIPs/debt poses a risk of financial loss. Investors should therefore exercise caution. Greynium Information Technologies and the author are not responsible for any losses caused as a result of decisions based on the article.